In preparation for our new bundle of joy, my mom and little sister Clarissa came down to watch the kids for us while we went to the hospital.
My scheduled induction date was set for January 23rd. I was told by the doctor that I should get called in any time between midnight and 7:30 am that morning but since I was first on the list, I should be ready to go at midnight. Well, 12 am passed (no sleep), 3 am passed (still no sleep), 5 am passed (what the heck?), 7:30 am passed (now I am mad!) My doctor said if they don't call by 7:30 am to give them a call around 9 am. I called and they said all their rooms were full with moms who went on their own (some even blamed it on the storm that came through...who knew, right?!) I was told that I was actually 3rd on the list now and they will call me when there's room. They told me to go ahead and eat breakfast and if they don't call by noon, to call them back. I called at around 1 pm and they still said "Sorry, it's not going to happen any time soon." They now told me to go ahead and eat lunch and call around 8 pm to check on things. I called at 8 pm (I'm sure they were tired of me calling) and finally the nurse just said, "You know what, it's just not going to happen tonight. It'll have to be tomorrow when we can get you in. If there's room at 3 am would you care if we called you? Or else we will for sure have you come in at 6:30 am." I told them to CALL ME ANYTIME! I was so unbelievably anxious to have this baby that I didn't care when they called me. So I ate dinner and actually got a good nights rest until the beloved phone call at 5:40 am. She said to be there at 6:30 am. We got up and tried to sneak out without waking the kids but Addison woke up and was a little upset. Luckily my mom was great and stayed up with her for a while and watched some TV.

The blanket my mom helped me make (I mean the one SHE sewed for me) while waiting on the 23rd. Diesl enjoyed helping her pin it together. He's such a good helper.
My scheduled induction date was set for January 23rd. I was told by the doctor that I should get called in any time between midnight and 7:30 am that morning but since I was first on the list, I should be ready to go at midnight. Well, 12 am passed (no sleep), 3 am passed (still no sleep), 5 am passed (what the heck?), 7:30 am passed (now I am mad!) My doctor said if they don't call by 7:30 am to give them a call around 9 am. I called and they said all their rooms were full with moms who went on their own (some even blamed it on the storm that came through...who knew, right?!) I was told that I was actually 3rd on the list now and they will call me when there's room. They told me to go ahead and eat breakfast and if they don't call by noon, to call them back. I called at around 1 pm and they still said "Sorry, it's not going to happen any time soon." They now told me to go ahead and eat lunch and call around 8 pm to check on things. I called at 8 pm (I'm sure they were tired of me calling) and finally the nurse just said, "You know what, it's just not going to happen tonight. It'll have to be tomorrow when we can get you in. If there's room at 3 am would you care if we called you? Or else we will for sure have you come in at 6:30 am." I told them to CALL ME ANYTIME! I was so unbelievably anxious to have this baby that I didn't care when they called me. So I ate dinner and actually got a good nights rest until the beloved phone call at 5:40 am. She said to be there at 6:30 am. We got up and tried to sneak out without waking the kids but Addison woke up and was a little upset. Luckily my mom was great and stayed up with her for a while and watched some TV.

The blanket my mom helped me make (I mean the one SHE sewed for me) while waiting on the 23rd. Diesl enjoyed helping her pin it together. He's such a good helper.
On the drive to the hospital, there was a thick fog over town. It was actually quite beautiful to see as we came over Foremaster and could see only the tippy-top of the Temple.

One last shot before the process begins. Man, I just don't know how I get so huge?

The nurse, who was AWESOME, started my I.V. at 7:15 am. Adam enjoyed asking her questions and understanding the machine. With his new nursing knowledge, he even got to put on my blood pressure cuff (Yippee!) He would've rather done my I.V.
- 7:30 am- Baby had a flat heart rate so the nurse buzzed my belly with a little buzzer to wake her up...and it worked. I also got put on some oxygen to help stabilize things.
- 8:15 am- Doctor came in and broke my water. 3 cm dilated 80% effaced.
- Nurse was still having trouble finding baby's heart rate so she attached a tiny electrode to her head.
- 9:15 am-10 am- Walked up and down the halls. I really wanted to get things going without PIT. (Spanish man cleaning one of the rooms just whistling away. Made it not quite so boring.)
- 10:15 am- Contractions 7 1/2-10 minutes apart.
- I still didn't want any PIT so she said she would give me one more hour to try and get my contractions closer together.
- 11:15 am- 4 cm dilated 80% effaced. So frustrated!!!
- 11:17 am- PIT (she kept it on a low dose for me.)
- 1:15 pm- Epidural (only was working on my left side) Adam really wanted to watch (since this is what he plans to do one day) but I asked him to stay by me since I was hurting so bad.
- Nurse said to lay on my right side and click the button for more anesthesia since it works with gravity.
- 2:00 pm- I still feel LOTS of pain on my right side so nurse said she can have Anesthesiologist come back in and try again.

Gotta love those contractions, especially while on PIT. You can't really tell in this pic but the PIT makes it so my contraction never fully goes away. It spikes and then dips down but then before I can get relief, it spikes again. The anesthesiologist seemed to take forever to get to me at this point. I was shaking and almost threw up. I think Adam's fingers lost circulation too.
- 2:05 pm- Nurse said that I was at a 10 and so I said no to more anesthesia, I'd just deal with it. She told me to do a test push, then she said wo, wo, wo, we need the doctor.

Nurse just said, "Let's have a baby!" Oh let's.
- 2:16 pm- Baby Layla Bernice Penrose was born after 2 pushes. 8 lbs. 8 oz.-19 in. long and I didn't tear (just like my others) It was actually kind of cool to feel everything happen on my right side. What an amazing process.

Slimy baby. I now know why babies cry so hard when they come out. Look at the squeeze he has on her chest. I guess that's better than having her drop to the floor.
Adam doing his daddy duty.


Love how calm she got when they laid her on me. I remember thinking how warm she was and then I smelled that wonderful smell of a newborn. Ohhhh...I love it.

Adam got this cute shot of her touching my nose. Yep, I am here and I am your mama.
3.840 = 8.8 lbs.
When I delivered the placenta (which was very stubborn and didn't want to come out, the doctor was yanking on it and massaging my belly like crazy) the doctor showed us where the scar tissue and old blood was from the subchorionic bleed during my first trimester. The were actually bigger than I imagined and I wish I would've had Adam take a picture so people would know what I am talking about.

I was so humbled that I was able to go full-term with this pregnancy and that I followed the doctor's advice on taking it easy. I just looked down at this perfectly healthy human being that developed inside MY body, and thanked my Heavenly Father. Life is so precious, so precious. All the things that could've went wrong, and they didn't. How blessed me and my family are. I felt so guilty for being so anxious to have her when I had been so blessed to keep her in me full-term. I always need to remember to be patient and have faith.
3.840 = 8.8 lbs.
When I delivered the placenta (which was very stubborn and didn't want to come out, the doctor was yanking on it and massaging my belly like crazy) the doctor showed us where the scar tissue and old blood was from the subchorionic bleed during my first trimester. The were actually bigger than I imagined and I wish I would've had Adam take a picture so people would know what I am talking about.

I was so humbled that I was able to go full-term with this pregnancy and that I followed the doctor's advice on taking it easy. I just looked down at this perfectly healthy human being that developed inside MY body, and thanked my Heavenly Father. Life is so precious, so precious. All the things that could've went wrong, and they didn't. How blessed me and my family are. I felt so guilty for being so anxious to have her when I had been so blessed to keep her in me full-term. I always need to remember to be patient and have faith.


Adam giving Layla her first bath. She loved getting her hair washed. He asked the nurse what her Apgar score was and she said a 9 but would change it to a 10 if he wanted her to. So glad to hear this news.


She picked up nursing right from the start. She has to eat every two hours on the dot and eats 20 minutes on each side. She sure is a champion eater (just like her brother Diesl was)
The nurses took the baby to the nursery during her two hour feeding break so that I could get some sleep. Adam ate dinner with me that night with his complimentary meal voucher. The food is great and the room service is even better. Adam got a steak and I got a spinach salad with strawberries and chicken on it (so good) and of course a Oreo shake because they are so yummy. He stayed the night with me on the amazingly comfortable recliner (NOT)

My mom and sister brought Addison and Diesl that night to see the baby. Diesl was pretty darn excited and Addison wasn't too sure about her but seemed happy.


I appreciate my mom and sister's help so much. The kids had a blast getting spoiled by grandma with some new toys too.

LAYLA BERNICE PENROSE














No comments:
Post a Comment